Thursday, March 28, 2013

Leche Flan (Caramel Custard)


So it's has been some time now since I posted on this blog. Sorry about that just been busy with other things. I' am still baking (I mean who can quit that right?!) and I will be posting some delicious desserts for you all. Easter is coming and of course you know I'm going be making a carrot cake! Oh Yay! Can't wait for that and of course I will be posting that up too! 

Where do I start?...Oh! 

I have been a custard fan since I was a kid.  My mother used to take my sister and brothers to this Spanish bakery where I used to live in the Bronx. They had all kinds of the desserts from cakes, puddings to cookies and donuts. But I wanted none of those so I picked the flan. As a kid I always thought that flan was more of a grown up dessert. Boy was I wrong! When I bit into that first piece of custard delight, I knew my mouth was in custard heaven! I knew I was hooked and never looked back. 



Cooking caramel can be tricky but if you keep the fire on medium and watch out so it doesn't burn then you'll be find. Just make sure when it becomes that dark amber color to transfer it quickly to your pan(s). Also make sure to swirl your pan(s) around to get it spread out through the surface. As you see in the above photo the caramel quickly settled to the middle of my baking pan. :( That's why you need to work fast!

Bake in a water bath so it doesn't cook to quickly. It's a pretty easy recipe to follow and don't be afraid of baking custard. Just give it go and practice! if you feel your oven is cooking the custard too fast then turn it down a few.

By the way, flan may look pretty simple and boring but the taste is so velvety and smooth. I especially loved the caramel sauce. I believe the caramel sauce is what makes the flan so delicious.  I'm very much happy that I know how to make flan on my own. **Patting myself on the shoulder** Just make sure if you make this to SHARE! Don't eat this on your own like me...Okay time to go running around the park.

Enjoy!

Spanish Flan
Prep time: 20 mins Cook Time: 1 hour Servings: 8
Source: All Recipes

Ingredients:
1 cup white sugar
3 eggs
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk

1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
 
Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, melt sugar until liquefied and golden in color. Carefully pour hot syrup into a 9 inch round glass baking dish, turning the dish to evenly coat the bottom and sides. Set aside.

In a large bowl, beat eggs. Beat in condensed milk, evaporated milk and vanilla until smooth. Pour egg mixture into baking dish. Cover with aluminum foil.

Bake in preheated oven 60 minutes. Let cool completely.

To serve, carefully invert on serving plate with edges when completely cool.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...