Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Roasted Banana Streusel Bread


I'm a huge Banana Bread fanatic, so when my boy friend asked me to bake Banana Bread I went on the hunt to find a yummy recipe. I already have many great recipes but I wanted something different. I like trying different types of recipes even if it's on banana bread or chocolate chip cookies. So I found this one from teenagetaste.com. I wanted to try this recipe out because of three things...


1. Instead of just adding the bananas in the microwave and mashing them. This recipe tells you to roast them. When roasting bananas they start to burst with juicy flavors and you do taste a differences. Really delicious. I will be roasting fruits more often for a burst of flavor.

2. The Streusel! Really loving the streusel topping. In this recipe you get to add some streusel into the batter which makes it taste even better! Yum! I love the crispiness on top of this banana bread. It also adds texture to it.

3. I Love Banana Bread!!!


This Banana Bread is super moist and rich! You can see the streusel in and on top of this bread! Really good, wish I had some more but like always it was gone before you knew it! I think this is a really great Banana Bread recipe that I will be making over and over.

Enjoy!

Roasted Banana Streusel Bread
Yield: 1 loaf

Ingredients:

Streusel: 
½ cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature

Bread: 
1 ½ cups sliced ripe banana (about 2 ½ large bananas worth)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
½ cup + 2 tablespoons plain yogurt (I used coconut milk)
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
¾ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cinnamon

Directions: 

In a small bowl, combine all ingredients for the streusel and work with your hands until large crumbs form and the pieces of butter become pea-sized. Set aside.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a large baking sheet and set aside. Grease a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan and set aside.

Place the butter in a small bowl and microwave until melted, about 20-30 seconds.

Set the banana slices on the greased baking sheet and brush the tops with 1 tablespoon of the melted butter. Place in the oven and roast for 15 minutes, flipping halfway through.

Remove the bananas (and all the juices) from the oven and change the oven temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

In a large bowl, mash the roasted bananas and stir in the yogurt, remaining 2 tablespoons butter, eggs, sugars, flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and vanilla extract. Fold in the majority of the streusel and pour batter into prepared loaf pan and smooth the surface with a rubber spatula.  Sprinkle with remaining (about a handful or so) of streusel.

Bake until top is golden and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to wire rack and cool completely.

3 comments:

  1. fact: i'm irresistibly drawn to anything containing streusel. it is my kryptonite. this is one of the finest loaves of banana bread i've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put chocolate in my banana bread too! :)
    - fab recipe. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen banana bread using roasted bananas. Thank you for sharing because this is something new I hadn't thought of before!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...